Subject:  Purple, Blue, Green Bug!!!
Geographic location of the bug:  Millsboro, Delaware
Time: 12:01 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I was outside today and saw this bug on the brick around my garage door. It was not really bothered by me being close or putting the phone closer to it for the pictures. I think it looks like a wasp but want to know for sure.
How you want your letter signed:  Stephen

Cuckoo Wasp

Dear Stephen,
You are correct that this is a Wasp, more specifically, a Cuckoo Wasp in the family Chrysididae.  Though members of this family are true Wasps, they are incapable of stinging.  The stinger of wasps and bees is actually a modified ovipositor that has evolved into a stinger so that female wasps can sting and paralyze prey to feed young, and it can also be used for defense purposes, especially in social insects like Honey Bees and Hornets.  The ovipositor of the Cuckoo Wasps has not evolved into a stinger because the female does not need to provide food for her brood in the traditional way, nor does she defend a nest.  Instead, she parasitizes the nest of another wasp to provide for her young and they either feed directly on the larvae of anther species or they feed on the food provided for the larvae of the other species, a habit known as cleptoparasitism. 

Thank you so much! I know your time is valuable and busy! Is there any concern having them on the house ect? I just moved here and never seen anything like it. Extremely beautiful though.

No.  Cuckoo Wasps pose no threat to you, your pets nor your home.

Thanks again Daniel! I love the service you all provide! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Location: Millsboro, Delaware