Subject:  Unidentified fly
Geographic location of the bug:  North Carolina
Your letter to the bugman:  This was on my door in spring. Never seen one before.
How you want your letter signed:  Charlotte

Tachinid Fly

Dear Charlotte,
Our best guess upon first viewing your image is that this might be a Long Legged Fly in the family Dolichopodidae, but we could not conclusively find any matching images on BugGuide.  It also somewhat resembles this Root Maggot Fly in the family Anthomyiidae pictured on BugGuide.  We hope one of our readers will be able to assist with this identification.

Update:  April 21, 2018
Thanks so much to Cesar Crash of Insetologia who provided us a link to the Tachinid Fly
 Cholomyia inaequipes that is pictured on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Females seen on flowers, perhaps (?) taking nectar” and “Parasitoid of weevils (Conotrachelus). Males, at least, come to lights.”  We believe the submitted image is of a male and since it was found on a door handle, it might have been attracted by the porch light.

Location: North Carolina

2 Responses to Tachinid Fly

1. Cesar Crash says:

I believe it’s Cholomyia inaequipes (Tachinidae):
    https://bugguide.net/node/view/1372143/bgpage

ps.: For a long time, I can’t see many images in WTB?, I have to right click and open in another tab. Now it’s the same in another PC.

Thanks Cesar.
      We have noticed that in some browsers, especially Safari, that happens. We will try to look into this matter.
      Thanks for the Tachinid link. We will update the posting with your information.