Subject:  Difference between  assassin bug and kissing bug
Geographic location of the bug:  Southern New Jersey,(Wenonah) right outside of Philadelphia
Your letter to the bugman:  I found this bug in my bathroom sink this morning. I thought it looked like a kissing bug. My bf says, no, it’s an assassin bug. Is there a difference?
How you want your letter signed:  Melody Schantz

Sycamore Assassin Bug

Dear Melody,
The easiest explanation to your subject like is that all Kissing Bugs are Assassin Bugs, but not all Assassin Bugs are Kissing Bugs.  Kissing Bugs in the genus
Triatoma are members of the Assassin Bug family Reduviidae, so they bear a physical resemblance to other Assassin Bugs.  Kissing Bugs pose a significant threat to human health as they carry the pathogen known to cause Chagas Disease in humans.  Many Assassin Bugs will deliver a painful bite if carelessly handled, but the bite does not do any permanent harm.  The insect in your image is a Sycamore Assassin Bug.  It is not a Kissing Bug but it is possible to be bitten by a  Sycamore Assassin Bug.

Wow, thank you so very much for your time and explanation!! I truly appreciate it.
Melody

Location: Wenonah, New Jersey