Subject:  Big Gentle Spider
Geographic location of the bug:  Lake Havasu, California side
Your letter to the bugman:  Well, here we go again! We have moved to Lake Havasu, CA. Upon arrival at our new rental, we noticed a very large spider on the  lanai or screen room which encompasses the home facing the lake. We felt lucky to have this beautiful specimen. Today, this one managed to enter the home and was above my desk. We caught it up and placed it back in the original place we first saw it. We now have another that lives near the outdoor laundry area.
Not quick, somewhat docile, and they do seem to kind of curl up during the day as if resting. Am I correct in identifying this lovely inhabitant as a Huntsman of sorts?
I’d love to know and as usual, look forward to hearing of what this species is. Thanks so much!
Oh and on a side note, we sent a letter months ago about a new Spider we found that we call Aragog.  She was identified as a Southern House Spider. She is doing very well and is happy in her Critter keeper, well fed!
Thanks again! Love this site!
How you want your letter signed:  Keeper of T’s

Huntsman Spider

Dear Keeper of T’s,
We hare happy to hear that Aragog is still thriving.  Your new spider is indeed a Huntsman Spider or Giant Crab Spider, and we have seen this species referred to as a Golden Huntsman Spider in the past, but BugGuide does not include that common name for
Olios giganteus.  Interestingly, according to Spider ID:  “Olios giganteus has been primarily sighted during the month of March.”  According to Desert Museum:  “This is a hunting spider that wanders in search of insect prey, then relies on speed to catch it. During the day it hides, its flattened body perfectly designed for fitting into narrow cracks or fissures. At night it comes out to hunt. Reportedly, its bite is painful, though it is not dangerous to humans. These spiders generally settle into one place only at egg-laying time. Females produce large egg bags that they hide in and guard.”

Huntsman Spider

Wonderful! And March was our first sighting! Splendid creatures indeed! =]
Thank you for your response,
ŞĦĄŔŐŊ

Huntsman Spider

Location: Lake Havasu, California