Subject:  Longicorn BVI
Geographic location of the bug:  St. John USVI
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello, I found the letter from the gentleman in BVI about this beetle. I too found one here in the USVI, Just across the channel from the BVI.  Here is a  picture of the one I found. I’m betting it all that it’s the same bug.
How you want your letter signed:  B. Crites

Longicorn: Lagocheirus guadeloupensis

Dear B. Crites,
Thanks to your excellent images, we believe we have identified both your Longicorn and the individual in the previous posting you cited as
Lagocheirus guadeloupensis thanks to Cerambycidae de las Antillas.  A mounted individual is also pictured on Coléopteres des Antilles.  A live individual is pictured on Inventaire National du Patrimoine Naturel.

Longicorn: Lagocheirus guadeloupensis

My photos are of a very alive one also. Thanks so much for getting back to my. Are these native or invasive. Natural or harmful, do you know? What a great site you have. Similar to mine, but mine is Marine wildlife.
Barb Crites

Hi again Barb,
We will continue to research and hopefully find the host tree or trees.  All indications are that this is a native species for you.  It is possible that fallen trees due to the hurricanes have provided a food source for the larvae, but most Longicorns remain in the larval stage for several years, so these two sightings are probably premature to be connected to the recent hurricanes.

Hi Daniel, I can add that this beetle looks very similar to the mango tree borer, which I would guess got here the same way the wild growing mango trees did.a local resident thinks they are a pest to our turpentine trees. How true that is I don’t know. I have a tendance to agree with you that we are seeing them now because of all the down tree matter from the hurricanes.
Barb

Location: St. John, USVI