Subject:  Possible ant with very short antenna
Geographic location of the bug:  North Texas (DFW)
Time: 09:12 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi,
I found this bug on my patio. At first I thought it was an ant, but its antenna seem too short. It doesn’t really look like pictures of termites that I’ve seen. It seems too small to be a wasp.  I would really appreciate it if you could give me some guidance as to what it might be! Thank you!
How you want your letter signed:  Alyssa

March Fly

Dear Alyssa,
This is a March Fly in the family Bibionidae, not an Ant.  March Flies often appear suddenly in large swarms, they remain a few days and then they are gone.  Your individual appears to be a big eyed male.  There is a species of March Fly that appears in such large numbers of mating pairs in Florida that they are called Love Bugs.  Because of the red legs, we believe this might be Bibio femoratus which is described on BugGuide as “Shining black, dense yellow hair, red femora” and it is found in “Most of North America, except Canadian arctic and Western USA.”  BugGuide data includes reported sightings Oklahoma, but not Texas, but that just means there have been no reports to BugGuide from Texas.

Location: DFW, Texas