Subject:  What are these bugs
Geographic location of the bug:  Chiriqui province Panama
Your letter to the bugman:  This group of insects were high up in a Cecropia tree. Some appear to be winged and others have what looks like long rear legs.
How you want your letter signed:  Linda Scott

Barklice

Dear Linda,
These are Barklice or Tree Cattle in the insect order Psocoptera, and though we were not able to locate any similar looking species from Panama or surrounding countries, we did locate this somewhat similar looking individual from Bolivia on FlickR.

Thank you for your help. The photo was poor quality due to the bugs being so high in the tree so I am amazed that you could id it so quickly. I will study what you sent. I am curious about the winged bugs that were with the ones with large hind legs, the winged ones seemed to be herding or at least following the others.
Thank you for your website.
Linda Scott

Hi again Linda,
The winged individuals are adults, and the immature individuals have not yet developed wings.

Location: Chiriqui, Panama

2 Responses to Barklice from Panama