Subject:  Crickets or Grasshoppers
Geographic location of the bug:  Southern Arizona
Time: 10:04 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  We were in southern AZ in October birding, and there were a lot of bugs about. Birding is my thing and those I can ID, but not so much bugs! These guys were all intriguing for their color, their armor, or behavior (some were eating each other). Thanks for taking a look!
How you want your letter signed:  Tina

Female Straight Lanced Meadow Katydid

Hi again Tina,
We are finally getting to the third image of an Orthopteran you submitted previously.  Though two were Grasshoppers, this third individual is a female Straight Lanced Meadow Katydid,
Conocephalus strictus, a conclusion we reached upon locating this image on BugGuide.  Most of the individuals pictured on BugGuide are green or brown, but Katydids often appear with unusual colors including pink and yellow.  The most obvious difference between Grasshoppers and Katydids is that Grasshoppers have short antennae and Katydids, which belong to the suborder Ensifera, have long antennae.

Thank you for IDing these! The curious side of me wants to know what they are, especially the unusual ones, but the OCD side of me is already IDing birds, and cataloging them by date, ID and location, LOL so I probably shouldn’t wander too far into something else or I’ll go mad! I do appreciate the occasional foray though!
T

Location: Arizona