Subject:  Flying stinging bug
Geographic location of the bug:  Perth Western Australia
Time: 07:52 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  My mother has been stung by this and I have no idea what it is
How you want your letter signed:  Stinging bug

Spider Wasp, we believe

The antennae and the spines on the hind legs lead us to believe this is a species of Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae, but alas, we have not had any luck locating any images online that look like your individual.  Perhaps one of our readers will have better luck than we have had.  According to Brisbane Insects:  “Most of the Spider Warps [sic] are orange and black, black and grey/white markings or just black, i.e., the very strong warning colours. They usually have tinted wings, smooth and shiny body. Their hind-legs are long and always have two prominent spurs. They tend to coil their antennae. They usually hunting on ground with the characteristic wing flicking movement.  Females have very powerful sting.”

Location: Perth, Western Australia