Subject:  What is this bug?
Geographic location of the bug:  Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Your letter to the bugman:  There were many of these bugs last summer. I’ve never seen them before. They were near my blazing stars, wild geraniums, clematis and lilies. They are not the same as the bugs that attacked  my lilies the year before.
How you want your letter signed:  Dying to know.

Firebug

Dear Dying to know,
This sure looks to us like a European Firebug,
Pyrrhocoris apterus, a species that has been introduced to North America, but according to BugGuide, there are only reports from Utah.  If it has also become established in Canada, you should probably notify your local agricultural agency.

Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada

10 Responses to Invasive Firebug reported in Ontario Canada

1. Rick Ross says:

I also have tons of these pop up recently. I also live in Brampton. What is the best authority to notify?

2. Donna says:

I live in Brampton and also have firebugs in my garden. First year I have ever seen these

3. Rob says:

We’ve seen swarms of them on trees in Mississauga.

4. Sunny says:

I live in Downsview. I just saw thousands of these bugs in my front garden while cleaning today. Is there any way of controlling these bugs naturally as I have 2 cats.

5. Oriana Loduca says:

I just saw one today in Vaughan.

6. Monica Sawicky says:

I have many in and around my garden. How do you get rid of them? We are in Etobicoke.

7. Shirley says:

I noticed a firebug while walking in the Keele/finch neighbourhood in Downsview today. It caught my attention. What do they feed on?

8. Peggy says:

We had them late summer last year in University Heights, Toronto.
    And my husband has seen them this year already.

9. Frances says:

I’ve been dealing with Firebugs in my garden for about five years. They are attracted to my Rose of Sharon (Mallow family) and the Basswood / Linden tree (Tilia family) on my property. I would step on them whenever I saw them. I have pollinator friendly gardens, so I don’t want to spray anything harmful to any insects. I’ve been picking the Firebugs with long tweezers and depositing them into a jar of dish soapy water. I’ve picked about 100 so far and not seeing any other adults the past couple of days. I’m hoping I can break the cycle.