Subject:  ID help please!
Geographic location of the bug:  North Eastern CT, USA
Time: 08:28 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hello!
Sorry that they are dead, I just found these guys in a cup of water in my backyard. Can you help me figure out what they are?
Thank you!
How you want your letter signed:  Curious in CT

Globular Springtails

Dear Curious in CT,
When we were renaming the digital image you sent, we realized that several years ago we posted another identification for Globular Springtails from Connecticut.  Though they can become very numerous when conditions are favorable, Globular Springtails are benign creatures and they are no cause for concern.

Thank you SO much for your response (and all the great work you do!).
I am so happy to hear they are harmless. I found more in my bird bath and near my chicken coop so that’s a big relief.
Thanks again, have a great weekend!

Location: Connecticut

2 Responses to Globular Springtails

1. This post reminded me that the first time I took notice of springtails I was living in Connecticut. I had studied, raised, and collected insects as a child in California; but springtails aren’t very showy critters. What I discovered later in CT was just how incredibly common they are. If you take a piece of paper and brush a patch of grass towards it, you’ll generally wind up with a host of springtails bouncing around on the sheet. I’ve learned that they are ecologically important, especially in the temperate zones of the Earth where they are major decomposers of organic matter. Earthworms get a lot of the credit, but the springtails are also vital to the manufacture of soil. Most of ’em eat fungus and spores, which is why only a few are agricultural pests. They are part of what i think of as the other pyramid of organisms. We usually think of the sequence of plants, things that eat plants, and things that eat the things that eat plants and so forth; but along side that there is a sequence of fungi, things that each fungi, and the things that eat the things that eat fungi. Not much glamour in that, I guess. Collembola are the Rodney Dangerfield of terrestrial arthropods. (I was going to write, of terrestrial insects, but the entomologists no longer classify ’em as insects.)