Subject:  Coon Bugs
Geographic location of the bug:  Cowra NSW
Your letter to the bugman:  Just read your response to another person re these bugs so thought I would also add my location sighting fyi. While we don’t have cotton, we do have marshmallow weed and peach trees.
How you want your letter signed:  Jennie

Aggregation of Coon Bugs

Dear Jennie,
Thanks for submitting your image of an aggregation of Coon Bugs,
Oxycarenus arctatus, in the family Oxycarenidae.  This is only our second submission of Coon Bugs since we initially posted in 2014.  According to Cesar Australia:  “The coon bug is a seed and fruit feeder, which occasionally swarms on cultivated plants including cotton, stone fruits and some vegetables. They prefer malvaceous plants such as marshmallow weed, but can reach pest status on crops, especially in dry seasons when other food is scarce. Feeding causes young fruit to shrivel and leaves discoloured patches on ripening fruit. These small bugs are most abundant in warm weather and are often found swarming around fowl yards, on fences and around the walls of houses. Adults are about 3 mm long with a black and white body. Nymphs are black with a conspicuous blood-red abdomen.” 

Aggregation of Coon Bugs

Location: Cowra, New South Wales, Australia