Subject:  What is it?
Geographic location of the bug:  Cavite, Philippines
Time: 10:34 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Is this spider dangerous?
How you want your letter signed:  Perry

Huntsman Spider

Dear Perry,
This is a male Huntsman Spider,
Heteropoda venatoria, a species that has expanded its range greatly due to the cultivation and shipment of bananas, hence the common name Banana Spider.  Your individual is missing two of its legs.  This species of Huntsman Spider is considered harmless to humans.  The are nocturnal hunters that are tolerated indoors in many tropical countries because they feed on Cockroaches.

Location: Cavite, PHilippines

5 Responses to Huntsman Spider from the Philippines

1. Rick says:

The huntsman now belongs to the family Sparassidae, not Heteropoda venatoria. The photo above shows a specimen with only six legs, no doubt two lost in combat; I found one in similar condition recently. I wonder if it can survive on six legs, it will have a harder time chasing down cockroaches and geckos (I’m betting it lost legs in tussles with geckos). It can inflict a painful, venomous bite, and when picked up tends to “cling” to one’s hand, and then you’re more likely to be bitten. I leave any I find alone; I don’t bother them and they don’t bother me, and meanwhile they’re eating things I like much less, cockroaches.

2. Kay Davidson says:

We find them in our area too, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya. I do not kill them because I know they eat the ants and cockroaches. I wasn’t aware that they attack geckos. I find they are a shy spider. They mostly live in my bathroom under the sink and very seldom see them. Kate

3. Mickey Free says:

We have them here in the Kalibo area, Aklan, Panay, too. The males are smaller, more gracile than the females which can get HUGE.

4. DLONRA says:

I currently have one, my in house pest control, he just shed his skin. I call him Arnold lol. Not shy but easily startle by closing doors. he lives near my trash can. Location: Baguio