Subject:  beetle Tanzania
Geographic location of the bug:  West Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
Your letter to the bugman:  Could you please identify this beetle
How you want your letter signed:  Doug

Unknown Assassin Bug

Dear Doug,
This is NOT a Beetle.  It is an Assassin Bug in the family Reduviidae, and we are posting it as unidentified while we attempt to get you a more specific identification.

Subject:  Assassin bug?
Time: 08:17 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  I’ve been unable to identify this insect beyond the likelihood that it is an assassin bug. This specimen has rather thick muscular legs with distinctive orange fore and mid legs and the rest of the body and hind legs completely black. Approximate body length = 2.5 cm. Someone suggested this to be in the genus Phonergates but haven’t found any representatives of this genus that look remotely like this one.
How you want your letter signed:  DCavener

Dear DCavener,
Last week Doug submitted this exact image to our site and asked to have the beetle identified.  We responded it was an Assassin Bug, not a Beetle, but we still have not located a genus or species name.

Oops yes, sorry about that! Someone else speculates that this is Phonergates bicoloripes but I can’t find images online or even a detailed description of this species. Is this something you could help with?

The individual from the genus pictured on Discover Life does look similar.

Location: Tanzania