Subject:  A beautiful bug
Geographic location of the bug:  In an open grass field/tropical country
Time: 09:56 AM EDT
Your letter to the bugman:  Hi. I just want to know what kind of insect in the attached photo is. I accidentally touched it and flew to our table. The back of our house is an open field with grass, trees.
I hope for your response. Thank you in advance.
How you want your letter signed:  eybi

Oleander Hawkmoth

Dear eybi,
While it is possible to be even more vague about the “Geographic location of the bug,” we rarely encounter that situation.  We agree your Oleander Hawkmoth is beautiful.  Because it has been introduced to Hawaii, the Oleander Hawkmoth is included in Sphingidae of the Americas where it states:  ” The Oleander Hawk Moth,
Deilephila nerii or Daphnis nerii, (Wing span: 90–110mm) is primarily associated with “the southern Mediterranean region, North Africa and the Middle East to Afghanistan (Ebert, 1969).”  Since the caterpillar feeds on the leaves of oleander, and since oleander is widely cultivated in gardens where the climate is appropriate, the range of the Oleander Hawkmoth has increased.  We get numerous submissions from India as well.