Subject:  A weird worm looking insect
Geographic location of the bug:  California
Your letter to the bugman:  I saw this bug in my dogs water just floating at the bottoms and didn’t know what exactly it was, I asked family and  they said it was a “moth caterpillar”  I looked up moth caterpillar and I have to admit it looked very similar to this one but this one seems a bit darker and it was still alive after I put it in water added soap AND oxi clean. I ended up smooshing it with my sink drainer making sure it doesn’t like start a nest or something then I let it go down the drain. So what bug is this? Why was it still alive after I drowned it in water soap and oxy clean? Please answer because at first I thought this was some sort of parasite and at this point I’m not sure and I VERY worried for my dog.
How you want your letter signed:  Marcus Wade

Leatherjacket

Dear Marcus,
This looks to us like the larva of a Crane Fly, and it will not harm your dog.  Here is a BugGuide image for comparison.  Crane Fly larvae are sometimes called Leatherjackets because of their hard exoskeleton.  Because of the large amount of rain last year, Crane Flies were quite common in Southern California last year.