Subject:  What is this spider?
Geographic location of the bug:  Bridgewater, Adelaide Hills.
One single spider living in my timber insect hotel. Bright green and yellow. No foliage. No camouflage.  Never seen one like it before.  Hoping you can educate me?
How you want your letter signed:  Colleen

Red Spotted Cetratus

Dear Colleen,
The longer length on the two front pair of legs is a good indication that this is probably a Green Huntsman Spider which is pictured on both the Australian Museum site and Oz Animals.  Your spider does look different though, so we are requesting some additional information.  What is a “timber insect hotel”? because it implies this Spider is being kept in captivity.  Huntsman Spiders do not build webs.  We would also like to know the approximate size of your spider.  Crab Spiders in the family Thomisidae also have two pairs of front legs that are longer, and they are generally smaller than Huntsman Spiders, so that is also a strong possibility.  Crab Spiders do not build webs, but there are no individuals pictured on the Brisbane Insect site that resemble your individual.  The abdomen on your individual is also shaped quite differently than that of most Crab Spiders.

Thank you for your response. I will give you more details later.
In the meantime, rest assured I keep NOTHING in captivity.
Insect hotels are difficult to explain, so if you Google “insect hotel” all will be revealed.
Thanks again. Such an interesting creature.
I’ll get back to you.
Colleen.

Update:  Red Spotted Cetratus
Thanks to a comment from Cesar Crash who runs the Brazilian site Insetologia, we have a link to the site Arachne.org and the Red Spotted Cetratus where it states:  “A green crab spider with orange to red spots found Australia wide in moist habitats. The spots cluster at the rear of the cigar shaped, wrinkled abdomen. The whole spider can be plain green or even brownish. The first two pairs of legs are much more robust and longer than the others. The cephalothorax is relatively wide and slighly domed with orange on the eye region. The eyes are circled with white. Well camouflaged on green leaves where it seeks prey by ambush.”   There are also nice images on BowerBird.

Location: Bridgewater, Adelaide Hills, Australia

3 Responses to Red Spotted Cetratus from Australia

1. AlexW, extreme entomophile says:

The “timber insect hotel” seems to be not a spider cage, but a wooden outdoors structure. More simply put: a “birdhouse” for invertebrates; Wikipedia has further info on bug hotels.