Subject:  What am I?  I scared the people around me!
Geographic location of the bug:  San Francisco, CA USA
Time: 04:22 AM EDT
Hello, I found this bug crawling across my bathroom floor.  I poured 70% alcohol over it and that stopped it. I took this picture after it dried.  It is about a 1/2 cm.  Should I be scared?  Do you think he was alone…
How you want your letter signed:  Thank you very much, Rick

Ground Beetle

Dear Rick,
This is a harmless (to humans), predatory Ground Beetle in the family Carabidae.  As Ground Beetles go, it is a small individual, with Caterpillar Hunters reaching about an inch and a half in length.  In our opinion, pouring alcohol on a harmless creature is Unnecessary Carnage.

Thank you for your quick response.  Point taken.  When I saw, what I now know to be a beetle, I called in my roommate.  He thought it was a bed bug– and we did kill it.   When we looked up close, we figured out it probably wasn’t a bed bug, but still didn’t know if it might be dangerous.  Now we know.
Thanks, Rick

Location: San Francisco, California

One Response to Ground Beetle killed with rubbing alcohol after scaring people

1. AlexW, extreme entomophile says:

The pale elytral border and overall appearance reminds me strongly of genus Tanystoma, despite the blurriness.

A beetle which appears identical to T. maculicolle is the most conspicuously-abundant carabid I see at night in the garden, but interestingly bugguide has very few pictures of genus Tanystoma.