Subject:  Some kind of termite?
Geographic location of the bug:  Colombia, South America.
Time: 12:56 AM EDT
Well, I guess you know the introduction to this story: this buddy just came flying through my window. He was acting… weird, I guess. Sort of like dying, lots of pointless moves, really fast though; not being able to climb even a cardboard or use his wings. I just took some pics and immediately set him free. However, I didn’t really know where to start looking to identify him, looks like some kind of hairy termit; so I just came straight to your blog. Not my best quality pictures, I know. Anyways, could you give me a hand, bugman?
How you want your letter signed:  More lost than ever, Daniel.

Male Army Ant Alate

Unfortunately, we do not have a definitive answer for you at this time but we are certain this is NOT a Termite.  At first we thought this might be a flying Ant, one of the reproductive members of the colony, but the antennae just seem wrong to be an ant, but we still believe this is a member of the order Hymenoptera, the Ants, Bees and Wasps.  With that, we are left with this being some species of Wasp, possibly a Digger Wasp in the family Scoliidae, but that is just a guess.  Perhaps one of our readers will have a suggestion or comment.  César Crash of Insetologia might have encountered this species in his Brazilian insect identification history.

Winged male Army Ant

Correction:  Army Ant
Thanks to several comments from dchaves, we agree that this is a winged male Army Ant alate, which is pictured on Arkive, where it states:  “A keystone species,
Eciton burchelliiplays a critical role in Neotropical rainforest ecosystems.”

Male Army Ant Alate

Location: Colombia

7 Responses to Male Army Ant from Colombia

1. dchaves says:

Hey Bugman!
    So I just saw that Sausage Fly post from Tanzania and somehow it just clicked for me: more than a hymenopteran it was a formicidae. I just immediaty started digging further and I believe this at is either a male Eciton or a male Nomamyrmex, but I am betting more on the last one.
    In love with WTB, Daniel.

2. dchaves says:

Hey Bugman!
    In love with WTB, Daniel.