Subject:  Spiky Caterpillar
Geographic location of the bug:  North Vietnam
Time: 08:41 AM EDT
Today, we found this caterpillar. Rather, it found us. It stung of us in the head, and hurt like hell. The locals assured us, that it wasn’t dangerous, just unpleasant. What can you tell us about that nasty fellow?
How you want your letter signed:  The three adventurers

Stinging Slug Caterpillar

Dear The three adventurers,
This is a gorgeous image of a Stinging Slug Caterpillar in the family Limacodidae.  We will attempt a species identification.  In the meantime, here is an image from Creative Photography that was also taken in Vietnam, but which is most likely a different species.

Location: North Vietnam

2 Responses to Stinging Slug Caterpillar from North Vietnam

1. Alan Ernst says:

I too was stung by a small 2 cm long green caterpillar, but I am on the island of Phu Quoc in south Vietnam. It looks somewhat like the slug caterpillar you have pictured, but it is green and white. There is no yellow/orange like the one you have on your site.. They seem to fall out of the trees onto tourists suntanning around the pool. I didn’t photograph it, because I was too busy grinding it into a paste. Still stings some 3 hours later. Is it a variation of the slug, or is it something new.