Subject:  Unique wasp like flying insect
Geographic location of the bug:  Southwest Missouri (Stone Co)
I saw this unique wasp in our front yard today, one I’d never seen before. I’ve traveled all over the world had have seen some very unique insects and animals but this one is new and I can’t find any pictures of another. It is all black, is multi segmented but the rear segment tuts up like a scorpion rather than the more traditional wasp in this area. It has a very identifiable looking stinger somewhat like a dragonfly and the wings move as a bees with the familiar buzzing sound. Any assistance in identifying it would be great as I’ve never seen one around here. I’ve attached three pictures to help. It was hard to get the pics as it didn’t much care for me getting to close. Thanks.
How you want your letter signed:  JLQD

Mating Thread-Waisted Wasps

Dear JLQD,
This is not a single Sphecid Wasp represented in your images.  It is a mating pair of Thread-Waisted Wasps in the family Sphecidae, and if you look closely, you can see that he has her by the scruff of her neck and that their abdomens, each individually connected to the body by a thin pedicel that gives this family the collective common name of Thread-Waisted Wasps, are conjoined for the transference of spermatozoa.  They look similar to the Blue Mud Wasp that is depicted on BugGuide.

Mating Thread-Waisted Wasps

Mating Thread-Waisted Wasps

Location: Stone County, Missouri