Subject:  What’s on my Woody Plant?
Location:  Mount Washington, Los Angeles, California
I try to keep abreast of what I am finding on my woody plants, and you have provided such excellent information in the past.  Please help me identify this metallic green insect.  It moved about very warily, and getting a photo was not easy.  Thanks for any assistance you are able to provide.
Signature:  Constant Gardener

Long Legged Fly

Dear Constant Gardener,
This is a Long Legged Fly in the family Dolichopodidae, and based on the Natural History of Orange County site, we believe it is
Condylostylus longicornis.  The species is also pictured on BugGuide where it states the range is:  “California; North Carolina to Paraguay; Polyensia. Possibly the most widespread species of the genus.”  Of the family, BugGuide indicates:  “Mouthparts are for piercing (with a short proboscis). Adults and larvae prey on small insects.”  This is a beneficial predator that will help keep your plants free of Aphids and other small insects that are injurious to garden plants.

Location: Mount Washington, Los Angeles, California