Subject: Huge Fly-like insect.
Location: Central Connecticut
Hello, just had this big critter buzz over my head as I opened my garage. It immediately landed on the garage door light and worked its way into the light cover essentially trapping itself. I’d estimate it to be around 1-3/4 inches in body length, easily over 2 inches to the wing tips. Appears very much like a huge fly. Quite a large sucker on it too. Seems to be excreting liquid from its rear as well. I’m located in central Connecticut and have been my whole 36 years. Have never seen a fly of this size. Just sharing my story. Hope its of interest to someone.
Signature: J. Perzan

Female Horse Fly

Dear J. Perzan,
This is a Horse Fly and you can tell by the space between the eyes that she is female.  Female Horse Flies are blood suckers, preying on livestock and large animals like deer, but if there is no preferred prey, they have been known to bite humans.  Unfortunately, we cannot see enough detail in your images to determine a species.

Female Horse Fly

Location: Connecticut