Subject: PetrH
Location: Czech republic, Moravičany
Can not find what it is, will someone please help me?
Signature: PetrH

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear PetrH,
This is an Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar,
Deilephila elpenor, and according to Learn About Butterflies:  “The caterpillar is brownish-grey, marked with a network of fine dark lines, much like the folds in the skin of an elephant’s trunk. When it walks, the caterpillar habitually sways the front segments from side to side, again reminiscent of the movement of an elephant’s trunk. The anal segment bears a short horn. The first two abdominal segments each bear a pair of pink and black eye-like markings. If the caterpillar becomes alarmed, it retracts its head, which compresses the thoracic segments and causes these ‘false eyes’ to expand. This gives the caterpillar a snake-like appearance, which presumably acts as a deterrent to predators.”

Location: Moravičany, Czech Republic

2 Responses to Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar from Czech Republic

1. Darren Birch says:

Would these elephant hawk moths also been found in Northern Ireland because I found one in my garden