Subject: Bugs found in convenience stores
Location: Edmonton alberta
Hello!
I work in different convenience stores and i come across these bug quite a lot. I know the pictures are not that great but i have to try and be discret while taking them. The bugs are about 10 mm long. I have never seen one alive! They are always dead at the bottom of the candy boxes.
Signature: Catherine

Alleged Dead Water Boatmen in Candy Box

Dear Catherine,
We can’t be certain, but these sure look like Water Boatmen to us.  See this BugGuide posting for comparison.  According to BugGuide:  “Adults fly to lights, sometimes in great numbers.”  Are you near a pond or other body of water?  Are these boxes stored near powerful lights that might be attracting them?  Water Boatmen are aquatic insects, but they are able to fly from pond to pond.

Dead Water Boatmen in Candy Box

Thanks for getting back to me!!

The body look similar but the legs seems wrong.
Next time i come across them, i will take a better picture! And count the legs!!!
Talk in a bit!
Catherine

Update:  August 15, 2017
I was able to take better pictures today!!

Water Boatman

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for taking better images.  They confirm our original identification that these are Water Boatmen, aquatic true bugs that also fly and are sometimes attracted to lights in great numbers.  See the images on this BugGuide posting for comparison.

Water Boatman

Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada