Subject: Corfu burrowing bug
Location: Central Corfu, Greece
Hi
I wonder if you can help please?
Today – Aug 8th – in Corfu Greece, we’ve seen this chap burrowing in the garden of our villa. He’s about 2cm long and is Black and Tan with external wings – not folded under a shell. He’s making grumbling chirping noises a bit like a cricket. He’s excavating the hole moving small stones out.
Signature: Helen

Sand Digger Wasp

Dear Helen,
We quickly located a matching image on the Insects and Spiders of Corfu site that identifies this wasp as a Sand Digger Wasp, and according to information posted to Jungle Dragon:  “Taken in Arillas, Corfu. I saw this sand wasp dragging the bush cricket down the path. The cricket was around 2.5″ in length (body) and this wasp was huge, dragging it as it couldn’t carry the cricket.”   Jungle Dragon goes on to identify the wasp as
Polalonia, but we question that identification, since according to BugGuide, the members of the genus known as Cutworm Wasps prey on cutworms, not Bush Crickets.  This Getty Images page just calls it a Sand Wasp.  Only female Solitary Wasps build nests in which to raise a brood.

Thank you so much for your quick and informative response. I was fascinated by the sand wasp – especially its strength to move stones & its constant disgruntled chuntering!
Best wishes,
Helen
Location: Corfu, Greece