Subject: Elephant Hawk-Moth Caterpillar
Location: Surrey BC
Hi there. I just came across the most unusual (and largest) caterpillar i have every seen, crawling along on my lawn. It is about 3 inches long, and has a long snout that pulled in when it became scared by my cat approaching. I have researched online and believe it to be an Elephant hawk-moth caterpillar, which is not common to BC. I am curious to know more about this guy and what he’s doing in my back yard.
Signature: Shannon

Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar

Dear Shannon,
Thanks to your submission we learned on Sphingidae of the Americas that:  “
Deilephila elpenor, the Large Elephant Hawkmoth (wingspan approx. 60-75mm), has recently established populations in southern British Columbia, Canada.”

Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

4 Responses to Elephant Hawkmoth Caterpillar in British Columbia, Canada

1. Sunny Slykerman says:

My cat brought me one this morning in Port Coquitlam.

2. Shannon says:

My sister’s cat caught a giant caterpillar yesterday in her yard in Port Coquitlam. She put it in a jar and brought it to me. I have done some research and I also concluded that it was an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar. It looks like the one in the photo only slightly darker. I am wondering what they eat?

According to UK Moths: “The larvae feed mainly on rosebay willowherb (Epilobium angustifolium), but also other plants as well, including bedstraw (Galium).”

3. Diane Epp says:

Just found one in Winnipeg Canada. Feisty little caterpillar. Long way to travel! Once I had identified it, I let it go.