Subject: What bug is this
Location: Houma Louisiana
We have no clue what kind of bug this is would like to know if possible because it bit my cousin we live in south Louisiana and it’s summer time here any info would be helpful thank you
Signature: Linda

velvet ant stings

I know what a velvet ant is because I use to live in Mississippi and had them bad there it looks nothing like that   And there’s no velvet on it anywhere

Velvet Ant

Hi again Linda,
This is a Velvet Ant in the family Mutillidae
.  The most commonly encountered Velvet Ant in the eastern U.S. is the Cowkiller, Dasymutilla occidentalis, and that species is indeed velvety.  There is much diversity in the genus, especially in the western states, where you find the Thistledown Velvet Ant which doesn’t look much like the Cowkiller.  Velvet Ants are actually flightless female wasps and they are reported to have a very painful sting.  Your individual resembles this unidentified Velvet Ant on BugGuide.

Location: Houma, Louisiana