Subject: Unknown stag beetle?
Location: Raleigh, NC
I found these beetles mating when I was going out for a walk. The blueish lining on the edge of the beetle and the pinchers were very interesting. I’ve searched online for this type of beetle but I found nothing. Please help me identify this beetle.
Signature: Seiya Furukawa

Mating Warrior Beetles

Dear Seiya,
Despite the large mandibles, these are not Stag Beetles.  They are Ground Beetles in the genus
Pasimachus which Arthur V. Evans refers to as Warrior Beetles in his book Beetles of Eastern North America.  A similar looking individual is pictured on Ohio Birds and Biodiversity, and it is called a Blue Margined Ground Beetle, Pasimachus depressus.  This image from BugGuide is not too different from your image.  BugGuide does not provide a common name, but does provide this description:  “Large, black, elytra and pronotum often bordered with blue/violet. Elytra of male shiny, of female dull, neither have striations or punctures. Base of pronotum (next to abdomen margined). Hind tarsus long and slender.”

Location: Raleigh, North Carolina