Subject: Black, winged, velvety
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
I have seen this particular bug in Branson, MO and Sioux Falls, SD. I’ve looked at a lot of “bug” sites but just can’t quite nail this down. The body seems to be “velvety”. I have not determined if it is a stinging insect . What do you say? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Signature: *S*

Mydas Fly

Dear *S*,
This is a Mydas Fly,
Mydas clavatus, and you can compare your image to this BugGuide image to verify our identification.  According to BugGuide:  “Large black fly with red/orange mark on top (dorsum) of 2nd abdominal segment. Body hairless, cylindrical. Eyes large. Antennae are distinctively clubbed in the Mydidae. This species flies rather boldly in the open. With the black-and-orange pattern, it resembles a wasp and fools the casual observer.”

Thank you for the information. I’ve looked at your suggested site and see that is obviously what we have. Thanks again. *S*

Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota