Subject:  Grass Carrying Wasp from France
Location:  southwest France
August 1, 2017
Continuing the theme of the grass carrying wasps, there are 3 or 4 of them nesting in the hollow section frame of our aluminium table on the terrace here in south-west France.
They are quite active at the moment and I promised you a photograph if I could get one. Herewith attached.
Sadly, I have missed two great opportunities to photograph them – once bringing in a long piece of grass for the nest and  the other a day or two ago flying in with a young cricket under its ‘fuselage’. Would have been great shots bout just couldn’t get the camera to hand in time. The do seem to be still nesting and feeding so I will do my best to capture this for you sometime and let you have the images.
Whilst writing, I have also attached an image of a spider’s web the like of which I have never seen before. It is fully round in shape (I.e. globe / ball shaped) and  abot 2 ½” – 3” diameter, with what I presume to be the owner sitting quietly in the centre awaiting the arrival of its latest prey. It is on the outside of a window, placed in the angle of the frame and the stone wall. Any ideas on what sort of arachnid this may be?
Kind regards,
Robin

Grass Carrying Wasp

Dear Robin,
Because your original submission did not include an image, we posted it as an update to our Bug of the Month for May 2017 posting on Grass Carrying Wasps, but the addition of this image warrants its own unique posting.

Location: Southwest France