Subject: Is this a Big Poplar Sphinx!
Location: Washington
Hello! I live in NW Washington, for the last couple of days this awesome moth that looks like a dead leaf has been hanging out on the door frame. It’s end of July in the mid 70’s-80’s. It’s fairly larger, probably 3″ across. I love seeing cool moths and finding out about them but this one doesn’t quite look like the other sphinx moths I looked up. Thank you!
Signature: Moth Lover

Smerinthus ophthalmica

Dear Moth Lover,
This is not a Big Poplar Sphinx, but it is a Sphinx Moth in the same tribe.  This is
Smerinthus ophthalmica, a species with no common name, and you can read more about it on Sphingidae of the Americas where it states:  ” S. ophthalmica flies across southern British Columbia and southern Alberta into southwestern Saskatchewan.  In the United States it can be found in Washington, Oregon and northern and central California eastward into Idaho, western Montana, western Wyoming and northern Nevada and northern Utah.”

Location: Washington