Subject: Blue caterpillar in nj
Location: Nj
Hi bug man, my sister found this blue caterpillar in mj. In all my years I have never seen one like that. Would you please let us know what it is. Is it a caterpillar, moth? Hank you so much!
Signature: Blu caterpillar

Unknown Blue Caterpillar

We cannot provide a conclusive identification.  We did locate this very different looking blue caterpillar on BugGuide, and it is unidentified.  We suspect this is some type of Cutworm, the caterpillar of a moth in the family Noctuidae.

Karl Provides an Identification:  White Dotted Prominent Caterpillar
Hello Daniel and Blu caterpillar:
By any chance, was this caterpillar found on an oak tree? If so, I believe it may be White-dotted Prominent moth caterpillar (Notodontidae: Nadata gibbosa). The description according to ‘Caterpillars of Eastern North America’ (Wagner 2005), includes “Sea-green to waxy blue-green, stocky caterpillar, with weakly developed subdorsal stripe; densely salted with white dots. Head enlarged, pale green; mandibles yellow with black tips. Anal plate edged with yellow.” The angle of the shot makes it difficult to make out with certainty, but I think I can make out a hint of yellow at both the front and back end.
Regards, Karl

Thanks Karl,
Before cropping the image, our editorial staff can attest to the leaf in the image being an oak leaf.  This BugGuide posting looks like a perfect match.

Location: New Jersey

One Response to Blue Caterpillar probably White Dotted Prominent

1. Ashley White says:

We found one on our porch today very beautiful species….