Subject: Blue Mountain Jamaica
Location: Jamaica
Dear Bug man,
I opened my front door this morning and this bug flew in me and would not let go.
It took great efforts to remove it. It is very strong yet intends no harm.
What is this bug?
Does it have any spiritual significance.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Signature: Empress Sefiatu

Longicorn: Derancistrus lineatus

Dear Empress Sefiatu,
Upon looking at the two images you attached, we could not help but notice the incredible quality difference, and then we noticed that the high resolution, very detailed image had a scientific name as the file name.  We searched that file name and found the identical image of
Derancistrus lineatus on the Mecyme wordpress blog.  Alas, we cannot post images pilfered from other websites.  It seems you have already identified this gorgeous Longicorn as Derancistrus lineatus, and we do not know if it has any spiritual significance, though we tend to reserve spiritual significance to the subjectivity of the individual.  Many specimens on the New World Cerambycidae Catalog, where it is identified as Elateropsis lineatus, were collected on Cuba and the Bahamas.  Prioninae of the World lists the distribution as “Cuba, Guadeloupe, Jamaica.”  

Location: Jamaica

4 Responses to Longicorn from Jamaica: Derancistrus lineatus

1. Horace says:

Found one in my yard but the limbs and antennae were red!
    my entomologist friend says it’s the same

2. Horace says:

I found one in my yard Widcombe Kingston foot of Moutain Spring
    However the limbs and antennae were red!
    My entomologist friend gave me the same name however

• Confidential says:

I don’t know if this is weird but I found one in Illinois. Not sure if that is a bad thing or if that is completely normal