Subject: moth
Location: Northern Arizona
what kind of moth is this?
Signature: Connie

Possibly Oculea Moth

Dear Connie,
This is probably a Polyphemus Moth, a beautiful moth with startling eyespots on the underwings.  If your submission had come from any state other than Arizona, we would be very confident with that identification, however, parts of Arizona and New Mexico are the range for the Western Polyphemus Moth or Oculea Moth, that is described on BugGuide as being:  ” similar to A. polyphemus, but darker and with more markings around the eye spots. ‘Upperside of wings is tan, sometimes with a yellowish or reddish tint. Forewing margin is the same color as the basal area; submarginal line is black. Rings around the eyespots are orange, blue, and black. Underside has contrasting rust, brown, and white markings.'”  We would need to see an image of the open wings to make a more definitive identification.

Thank you for your prompt response.  After studying the pictures of each, I believe the Oculea Moth is the closest match. He is gone now so I cannot get anymore pictures. I live in Show Low, Arizona which is located in the White Mountains.  The elevation here is 6350.
Again than You,
Connie

Thanks for the additional information Connie.  Oculea Moths do tend to be found at higher elevations.

Location: Northern Arizona