Subject: Some pics to share!
Location: Sunderland UK, NY USA, IN USA
Hello Bug Peeps! I thought I’d share some really lovely shots I got of some awesome specimens! You are probably the only people who will appreciate them, heh. The first two are spiders but the final one of a beetle was the best shot of all!
The first shot is of the absolute largest house spider I’ve ever seen in my life. I couldn’t get over him/her, just amazing! However it was my bff’s flat in Northern England UK that (s)he was spotted (this was in the spring, I’m thinking (s)he was looking for a mate) and bff was not so keen to have such an impressive guest so we relocated Friend just outside the door, where (s)he more than likely crawled right back inside but whatever, at least bff is not a squoosher.
The second is a much better photo of a really pretty spider hanging out on my bathroom wall in Indiana USA. I looked it up and it is a spitting spider and spits a mixture of webbing and venom on its victims, so basically what Spiderman does but also poison which I think is very clever. I like the spots on the legs. I keep my fingers crossed that it will catch and eat the stupid fruit flies that keep getting in my garbage- they fly at my eyes and are annoying.
The last one is my little friend the Rawrior, some manner of stag beetle or another that was just shuffling along tra la down the sidewalk in upstate New York. Thrilled, as it is to date my one and only sighting of a wild stag beetle, I grabbed my kindle out of my purse and hovered it over the little creature, angling for a good shot. Nervous of the sudden presence of a giant flat rectangular UFO, Rawrior posed spectacularly in this defensive stance, poking its little pinchies toward me and warning me that it didn’t want to be probed, thanks. Can you tell me if it is a boy or a girl beetle? The pinchy bits weren’t massive so I wasn’t sure.
Signature: KLeigh

Antelope Beetle

Dear KLeigh,
Thanks for your enthusiastic letter.  We believe your Stag Beetle is
Dorcus parallelus, commonly called an Antelope Beetle according to BugGuide where it states:  “Larvae feed in decaying stumps and roots of oak, linden, and maple.”  This species does not exhibit some of the extreme sexual dimorphism found in other Stag Beetles, but we believe this is a male.

Location: New York