Subject: Unidentified Beetle
Location: Northern edge of Pottstown, PA
Sort of a weevil shaped insect, bright red/orange and black with bright white spots on body and legs.
I’ve never seen one of these before, and can’t find one on the web searching several sites. Do you know what it is? Since I can’t find it in searches, wondering if it’s an introduced species. Found it on our deck post afternoon of July 15, 2017. My property has a small woods on two sides.
Signature: Olin Mittan

Immature Spotted Lanternfly

Dear Olin,
This is not a good sighting.  Years ago we identified this Asian creature as an immature White Cicada, and upon searching BugGuide records, we learned it is called a Spotted Lanternfly and “native to China, India, Japan and Vietnam; invasive in Korea and in our area (PA; confirmed in Berks Co. Sep 2014)” and “SIGHTING REPORTS WANTED: Experts are working to delimit the current population and find new infestations of this species. Please report sightings on the Pennsylvania Dept. of Agriculture website.”

Immature Spotted Lanternfly

Thanks for the quick response.  It turns out that the spotted lanternfly is known to exist in my township, and I was simply unaware.  We are instructed simply to kill any we encounter, but I reported it none the less.
Had it now been for your site, and response, I would still be unaware of the threat.
Thanks again for your help.
Olin Mittan

Location: Pottstown, Pennsylvania

30 Responses to Spotted Lanternfly sighted in Pennsylvania

1. Butcher Debbie says:

Spotted lantern bug invading my back yard pool area , south mountain dr, Emmaus, Pa

2. Pam says:

Red lantern fly in my back yard in Perkasie, Pa On August 12, 2018

3. Anthony m says:

I’m in shillington pa. I have swarms in my back yard and along my bank. Trimming my trees alone I ran ove a few hundred with the lawnmower mulching trimmings

4. Judi says:

Does the Lantern bug have any natural enemies?

5. Katherine says:

I just saw this bug on my step 4 of them I’ve never seen anything like it I live in Exton PA

6. Kenny says:

I live in Buckingham , Bucks county and my grandson and I were clearing up some brush by our back deck and we saw 3 of them and one was crawling up my back and my grandson brushed it off and I think we terminated the other two .
    Kenny

7. Kenny says:

Kenny

8. Dave says:

I have something similar but no red. All black with white dots. Found them on fig tree and roses. I’m in Bethlehem, PA. Could these be lantern flies as well?

9. Emilio says:

I have these in my backyard; center city Philadelphia PA

10. Ginna Irizarry says:

I have seen the black ones with white spots and also just seen a red one and I’m in camden nj

11. Dorothy A Croxton says:

Just this week (July 4), I have seen these bugs. They are both red-and-white-spotted and black-and-white spotted. I have only seen them on them on my concrete decks (front and back) and my stone walls. It is hard to swap them, because they hop. Most of the time, I am able to step on them. Is there any bug spray that can the used to kill them?

12. Dave says:

Found out these are lantern flies. I’ve been using DE with some success. I’m also hearing Dawn dish detergent may work too.

13. Linda says:

I just saw a black one with white spots yesterday in Chester County near Delaware state line. It was walking on my gerber daisy. After I saw a post about the lanternfly I went to look for it and could not find it. Does it destroy trees and plants?

They are considered an invasive species that will most likely have negative agricultural and horticultural ramifications in their new range.

14. Dave says:

I tried using Dawn dish detergent in a spray bottle with a water/Dawn ratio of about 5:1. Sprayed a couple dozen of the flies late yesterday and they clearly did not like it. Today there were only two of them, so I hit them with the spray. 🙂

15. Deborah Cifuni says:

I found one of these on my back deck today (7-13-20). It was crawling on my grill. I live in Huntingdon Valley, PA.

16. GEORGE JEFFERSON says:

Found several on my deck railings for the past few days. I’m located in Cheyney, PA in in a wooded aria.

17. Lord Vega says:

I spotted these in both northeastern Philadelphia, PA, and East Norriton, PA. They seem to suck the life out of my plants. WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?????

18. Elizabeth Ritter says:

We have a ton of them on our back deck, all over my raised garden(tomato’s, cucumbers, and peppers). They are also all over the back side of my townhouse. We live in Winchester Va

19. Bob Winton says:

I have these around my house too. Red with white spots and they jump.

20. wilfred rivera says:

Every where in cherry Hill New Jersey

21. Ron Yoscak says:

Bear DE large infestation Christiana meadows

22. Christine says:

Found this bug in the front of my house, Newark, De.

23. Dory says:

spotted in Hillsborough, NJ today. Tried to smash it but it jumps; and far, too!

24. Edward says:

They are in hillsborough, NJ. July 17, 2021

25. Geoffrey says:

Lawrenceville NJ.. I spotted one in my garden a couple of days ago, and just now decided to do a search … I tried to kill it but failed as it disappeared into the thick undergrowth.

26. Zyion says:

I saw like 6 on a small growing tree Stroudsburg,Pa they are fast and will jump if attacked to another tree.

27. Banxx says:

They’re in New Castle, DE. I thought it was an evolved poisonous flea the way it looks and jumps.

28. I found one in South River NJ. Have it in a bag.