Subject: Tiny Alligator Bug
Location: North Virginia
Hi Bugman,
I noticed this tiny bug crawling around a tennis court. For some reason, it reminded me of a tiny alligator. I believe it was crawling on my forearm, if that helps indicate the size. The location was somewhere around Aldie, VA, and I found it in the month of May.Thanks for your help.
Signature: The BugWatcher

Lacewing Larva

Dear BugWatcher,
This is a predatory Lacewing larva, and they are sometimes called Aphid Wolves because they eat large quantities of Aphids, which makes them an important natural method to control insect populations.  They are sometimes sold commercially by nurseries that specialize in organic methods of insect control.  You should be warned that many folks write to us complaining about the bites of both Lacewing larvae and adults.  Though the bite of a Lacewing larva is not serious, we can personally testify that the itching that results is proportionally greater than the size of the critter.

Location: Virginia