Subject: Green Bug Killing My Veggie Garden
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Hi, bug man.
I have had a pretty impressive backyard vegetable garden for a couple of years now, but something is killing my plants, one by one. I went on vacation and came back to a completely dead zucchini section, and three weeks later, my bush beans are dying in a similar way. Upon extra-close inspection, I noticed that most of the stems are covered in a colony of green bugs, exactly the same shade of green as the plant stems. I also noticed a heavy concentration of ants, and when I looked at the soil around the plant, it was crawling not only with ants, but also with brown versions of the same bug! If it helps, it’s the middle of July, and generally between 85-100 degrees with 40-80% humidity. What is this crazy chameleon bug, and how do I get it to leave my plants alone?!
Signature: Desperately, Katelyn

Buffalo Treehopper Nymph

Dear Katelyn,
This is a Buffalo Treehopper Nymph.  They have mouths designed to pierce the membranes of plants so that they can suck the nourishing fluids.  They exude honeydew, which is why they are being tended by Ants.  Here is a BugGuide image for verification.

Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia