Subject: Whats this bug
Location: Western pa
Whats kind of bug is this?
Signature: Thank you james

Longhorned Borer Beetle: Parandra polita

Dear James,
This proved to be a bit of a challenge because your beetle does not really resemble other members of its family Cerambycidae, the Longhorned Borer Beetles .  Luckily we identified it as
Parandra polita in Arthur Evans marvelous book Beetles of Eastern North America.  We verified that identification on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae in heartwood of hickory, tuliptree, beech.”  In his blog Beetles in the Bush, Ted C. MacRae provides this account:  “As I did, I noticed a reddish-brown, large-mandibled beetle sitting on the sheet that, for all intents and purposes, looked like a small stag beetle. I wasn’t fooled, however, as I knew exactly what this beetle was—I had previously seen this species in the form of two individuals at a blacklight in southern Missouri very near to my current location (although it was 28 years ago!). It was Parandra polita, an usual longhorned beetle belonging to the archaic subfamily Parandrinae, and those specimens (MacRae 1994) plus another collected more recently a few miles north—also at a blacklight in wet bottomland forest along the Mississippi River (McDowell & MacRae 2009)—to date represent the only known occurrences of this uncommon species in Missouri.”

Location: Western Pennsylvania