Subject: trouble IDing an insect
Location: Montgomery County, IN
I found this insect on my car two years ago in July, late in the evening. I was parked near the shelter which is close to Sugar Creek. I checked a few field guides and couldn’t find a match.
Signature: Warren

Plant Bug

Dear Warren,
We were pretty certain you submitted an image of a Plant Bug in the family Miridae, and when we researched that, we found a very similar image identified only as
Lopidea on the Heteroptera of Goodwell and Texhoma Texas County, Oklahoma site on the Family Miridae page.  That genus is represented on BugGuide, but we are not comfortable taking the identification to the species level.  Of the genus, BugGuide notes:  “Some common species are black with extensive red on the edges of the wings and/or pronotum. Well-defined suture on cheeks running from antennal socket to below eyes and frequently outlined by a dark stripe.”

Location: Montgomery County, Indiana