Subject: Eastern Hercules in Northern VA
Location: Falls Church, VA
I live in Northern Virginia (Falls Church) and until yesterday had never seen an Eastern Hercules beetle. In 4 separate trips to my car over the last 36 hours, I have found 4 dead ones (1 female, 3 male). I’d be lying if I say it doesn’t concern me that they seem to be dropping out of the tree I park underneath…what could be killing them? (The townhouse community I live in does not spray pesticides to my knowledge) Is it normal for E. Hercules to die around the same time? Again, I’ve lived here for 12 years and have never seen an E. Hercules until now…why all of a sudden? They sure are cool, though! Hope I can see a live one soon!
Signature: Dave

Pair of Eastern Hercules Beetles (male on left)

Dear Dave,
It is disconcerting to hear about your dead Eastern Hercules Beetles.  We would expect that adults should live about six weeks, and July is the month with most sightings on BugGuide, so we are guessing the deaths you have encountered are probably premature.  Populations of different insects do vary over time, which might explain why you have never encountered Eastern Hercules Beetles previously.

Location: Falls Church, Virginia