Subject: Giant beetle
Location: Troy, VA
I hope this goes through. As I said in my other message, this was a big beetle, about 1″ x 2″. I don’t think it is a Hercules beetle, it seems to me the shape and markings are all wrong.
Thanks for the info on the insect eggs. I immediately went and looked for a photo of a tiger moth, and it’s lovely. I haven’t seen one, but I’ll keep on the look out.
Would you be interested in a photo of the wonderfully named, green marvel moth?
thanks for all you do.
Signature: Grace Pedalino

Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

Dear Grace,
There is quite a bit of color and marking variation in the Eastern Hercules Beetle.  Your image is of a female and you should be able to spot the similarities with this individual posted to BugGuide.

Location: Troy, Virginia

One Response to Female Eastern Hercules Beetle

1. Grace says:

Thanks, I can see now that it is a Hercules beetle. After reading through bug guide I found an interesting note suggesting that the color variations might be due to the beetle being able to change color and being mid-change. I also see that while it’s not endanged, it is at high risk, so I’m glad to see so many submissions for them. Hopefully, she laid some eggs, and they’ll be more in our area.