Subject: Rare spider?
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Found this on my doorstep in Atanta, Georgia at night in the summer. (I moved it to a safer place where it was less likely to be noticed by a neighbor and killed).
Signature: Chris

Red Legged Purseweb Spider

Dear Chris,
We have not done any recent research on the Red Legged Purseweb Spider, but last we were aware, the species was considered endangered.  Your individual looks emaciated, and he might have benefited from a meal like a nice fat cricket.  We found this information on Animal Diversity Web:  “Red-legged purseweb spiders, although scarcely found in nature, are not listed on any conservation lists. (Reichling, et al., 2011).”  According to University of Kentucky Entomology:  “The Red-Legged Purseweb Spider (Sphodros rufipes, which may occur in Kentucky) has historically appeared on U.S. endangered species lists, but some scientists believe that it may not be a rare spider. ”  Because of your kind actions, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Location: Atlanta, Georgia

3 Responses to Red Legged Purseweb Spider

1. Chris says:

Thanks for the information. I was sad to learn that it not only looks malnourished but emaciated :(. Had I know I would have made an effort to feed it, though I will say it seemed lively and not lethargic at least.

Female Red Legged Purseweb Spiders are homebodies, and males wander about in search of a mate, making them more vulnerable to predators, accidents and wandering into areas where food is difficult to find. Your male was most likely wandering in search of a mate.

2. Paul says:

Hi Chris. I’m working on a distribution map for the red-legged purseweb spider in the southeast. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to recall that this was in the Buckhead area, but I don’t see that anywhere in the post. Was it in Buckhead? Thanks.