Subject: Longicorn 9pm 1500′ Maui
Location: 20n 156w Pukalani, Maui
Aloha –
This guy was unexpectedly found at 9pm the other night. The paint spot to the right is about 7/16″ in diameter. Longicorn was on its back when I first saw it, flipped over and started moving to the left. Attempted to fly away but didn’t succeed. It was not there when I checked a while later.
Know it is hard to determine just what kind of longicorn it is from one photo. Rare for us to have any bug this size flying at night other than mating American cockroaches or Black Witch moths.
Appreciate all your posts. I start my day looking over the bugs posted to learn more about insect life.
Signature: Eliza

Eucalyptus Borer

Aloha Eliza,
Thanks for your kind words.  Were there eucalyptus trees near the sighting?  This is a Eucalyptus Borer, and we have already received documentation that they are found in Hawaii.  They are covered briefly on page 11 of the Pests of Trees and Palms in Hawai’i article posted to Aloha Arborist.

Aloha Daniel –
Mahalo nui loa – thanks very much. Appreciate knowing what this critter is.
Yes, upwind by about 1/4 mile or so, a stand of old eucalyptus is being removed. One had been laying on the ground for many years, when the leftover winds of a tropical storm knocked it down. Even tho’ it was supine, the tree still had green leaves. The neighboring shorter trees were standing till earlier this week. The pieces of trunk are in the field which gets grass/weed trimmed by goats. Who knows what their next step in their life gets to be. No doubt this borer got evicted suddenly from its home.
Have a pleasant 4th of July holiday.
A hui hou (until we meet again) –
Eliza

Location: Pukalani, Maui