Subject: White Bug
Location: Delray Beach Florida
Hello, I live in Delray Beach Florida. This white spotted hard shell bug has recently showed up all over my popcorn cassia and two of my infant oak treas. I’ve looked all over and cannot figure out what this bug is. If it’s not harming my trees then they can stay but for some reason I think they are up to no good! If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Signature: Amy Shuttleworth

Sri Lanka Weevil

Dear Amy,
We believe this is a Little Leaf Notcher Weevil,
Artipus floridanus, because of images posted to BugGuide where it states:  “a minor pest of Citrus and other plants.”  We would not rule out that this might be the Yellow Headed Ravenous Weevil or Sri Lanka Weevil, , which according to BugGuide:  “n FL, recorded from 55 host plant spp., from palms to roadside weeds, including citrus.”  There is not enough detail in your image to determine if it “has spines on the hind femur and a yellowish tint to the head.”

Location: Delray Beach, Florida

3 Responses to Sri Lanka Weevil

1. Heather Lane says:

I have recently discovered these white bugs/little leaf notcher weevils at my property in North Palm Beach — we actually keep seeing them in the house, mostly on the ceiling or high on the walls. Then started searching outside and found them grazing on our “hedge” – not sure what kind of bush/tree it is. But I would love to know of any remedies!! Especially to keep them from coming inside! Any tips out there??

2. Brian Reily says:

Myllocerus undecimpustulatus.

The Sri Lanka Weevil was also mentioned in our reply. Can you provide any information on how you determined the species?