Subject: Fairy Cicada
Location: Austin, Texas (June 21, 2017)
June 22, 2017 7:11 am
So, fairies have cicadas too?
As a lifelong Cicada lover, this is the tiniest shell I have seen. I thought it was a bee!
Signature: Joy always~ Quay

Possibly Exuvia of a Grass Cicada

Dear Joy,
While we cannot state conclusively that the exuvia you discovered belongs to a member of the genus
Cicadetta, the Small Grass Cicadas, there is a strong possibility that it does.  According to BugGuide:  “These are small delicate cicadas often mistaken for ‘Tree/Leaf Hoppers’.  All members are less than an inch in length incl. wings.  They are variable in color from bright lime green to tan to boldly patterned with browns and/or greens.”   According to BugGuide, Cicadetta texana is found from “TX to Gulf Coast” but there are no images. 

Grass Cicada Exuvia, we believe

We are guessing the Exuvia of a Grass Cicada

Location: Austin, Texas

2 Responses to Tiny Cicada Exuvia

1. Quay says:

Excellent! Thank you.
    I will be looking for grass cicadas now. I’m curious to hear those tiny tymbals in action:) ~Quay

2. Quay says:

Excellent! Thank you.