Subject: What is this bug?
Location: Mililani, oahu, hawaii
Aloha from Hawaii. I live in mililani on oahu and found this really neat guy on my trash can. He is about half an inch long and really strong. I had a really hard time removing him from the trash can and transferring him to a tree. I have lived here 25 years and never seen this insect before. Please can you identify him. I thought he might be a longihorn type of beetle.
Much mahalo!
Signature: Jenz

Longicorn

Dear Jenz,
Like so many creatures found in Hawaii in the 21st Century, this Longicorn is probably an introduced species.  We believe we have correctly identified it as
Coptops aedificator thanks to Cerambycoidea which lists the range as “Arabia, Africa, S. Helena, S. Thomé, Cabo Verde, Madagascar, Comores, Seychelles, Mauritius, Ceylon, India, Andaman. Introduced in China (Taiwan) and Hawaii.”  It is also pictured on Forestry Images where it is identified as the Albizia Long-Horned Beetle, and iSpot.

Longicorn

Mahalo for taking time out of your day to identify him.  We also have Madagascar stick bugs here.  We live on the rim of a nature reserve and find many different insects here. There may be more pics in the future. Aloha jenz

Location: Mililani, Oahu, Hawaii