Subject: moth Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
Location: Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico
June 22, 2017 9:43 am
any thoughts?
Signature: tom

Giant Silkmoth: Caio species

Dear Tom,
This Giant Silkmoth in the family Saturniidae is quite lovely, and its muted colors help to camouflage if from predators.  Our research indicates it is in the genus Caio, possibly Caio richardsoni based on an image on The Kirby Wolfe Collection.  We will contact Bill Oehlke to see if he can verify that species identification.  He may request permission to post your image to his site as well, and since he is a valuable resource for us regarding both Giant Silkmoths and Sphinx Moths, we hope you will grant that permission.

Thank you so much, Daniel.  You guys are amazing. Of course you can use this image. Tom

Bill Oehlke Confirms ID
Richardsoni would be my first guess.
Bill

Location: Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

One Response to Giant Silkmoth from Mexico

1. Kathleen M Chaffin says:

My vision isn’t so great (well, it might help if I replaced my lost contact lens ?) but when I saw a huge dark form on my white curtain this PM I was sure it was a bat. (One of which did fly into my bedroom a few nights ago). But a bat in the early afternoon? I gingerly approached and took photos, then Googled. Yup, a Giant Silkmoth. I’m in Jocotepec, western end of Lake Chapala