Subject: Birdbath victim?
Location: Memphis, TN
June 12, 2017 3:44 am
I’m a long-time reader and fan. I’m sorry the photos aren’t any better, but can you tell me what this lovely critter is? I saw it crawling around my birdbath before sunup this morning (June 12). When it got lighter and I went out to see if it was still there, the poor thing was *in* the birdbath. I fished it out, took photos, and then put the bug in a sort of hidden place on the ground so it can revive before a bird eats it (assuming it didn’t drown).
Thanks so much for your website. It’s a constant source of wonder to me.
Signature: Laurel

Mydas Fly

Subject: Birdbath victim part 2
Location: Memphis, TN
June 12, 2017 4:00 am
Is it mydas clavatus?
I’m happy to report that I just went out to check on this little critter, and it is alive! It has dried out enough to pull its wings in. So I don’t see the orange spot now, but I do see pretty iridescent wings covering it.
Signature: Laurel

Dear Laurel,
We apologize for the delay in responding.  We were away from the office for nearly two weeks and we are attempting to respond to as much unanswered mail as possible (an impossible task) and posting the best letters.  This Mydas Fly is indeed
Mydas clavatus, and your intervention in its life warrants tagging this submission with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Location: Memphis, Tennessee